In our home I can make this recipe (which makes 2 loaves !!!) one day and I swear it is gone in less than two days! My family has always loved banana bread and I think what does it for this one is the buttermilk.
This recipe is delicious and very easy to make. One tip though… that I learned the hard way… if your bananas are still a bit solid, mash them with a fork a bit before you attempt to do it with your stand or hand mixer, unless you would like pieces of banana literally all over your kitchen! Freezes great!
First step is to mash the bananas. I usually freeze mine when they are too ripe or if I buy the reduced ones at the grocery store. They look really nasty when you take them from the skin but they mash perfectly. See picture below.
Once they are good and mushy, you add the sugar, the eggs and the melted butter and mix that up really well.
Once that is well blended, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately until just mixed. Once it is combined, fold in the walnuts until just blended.
Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 for about 60 – 70 minutes and voila…the best banana bread EVER!
Best Banana Bread Ever
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
5 – 6 very ripe bananas
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare two loaf pans.
2. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and set aside
3. Mash bananas in a large bowl or the bowl of your mixer until smooth.
4. Add sugar, eggs and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
5. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Don’t overmix.
6, Fold in Walnuts until just combined and divide between prepared pans.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 – 70 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Run a knife along the outside edge of pans, remove from pans. Eat hot with butter or let cool.
9. Store in covered container. Freezes well.