I will admit, this is not a fancy dinner. I was having a bad “head” day yesterday and really wanted some good ole comfort food, and this is it for our family…. well, that and my Potato Soup lol. (I will have to make that and post it as well!)
In our family, this has to be one of the most requested “birthday” dinner meals, even from when I was a child!. And it has to have Double Tomatoes according to Chris, my husband, and chief guinea pig lol. He loves it too. He and Dillon, my son, will usually say “Baked Macaroni again?” but then never fail to clean (and almost lick) their plates each and every time.
Now just last week Kim and I were discussing options for adding things to this recipe to test out but I just couldn’t bring myself to alter from our tried and true method…this time!
I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we all do!
The ingredients are very simple as you will see below (I usually use Campbell’s Cheddar Soup but my grocery store was out so I tried the generic brand and it turned out just as well)
The first thing to do (I know, obviously) is to cook the macaroni noodles. I usually spray a little bit of cooking spray in the bottom of the pot so it doesn’t stick and I always use the “wooden spoon” trick I mentioned in My 25 Favourite Kitchen Tips!
While the noodles are cooking you are going to mix the can of cheddar soup, half of the juice from the can of tomatoes (about 3/4 cup), your grated cheddar, milk and this is the secret ingredient for this to be perfect…. the tablespoon of plain old yellow mustard in a large bowl. (I know it looks kind of gross, but it won’t be once it’s cooked)
When the noodles are cooked, drain them and in the same pot you cooked them in, add the tomatoes and butter or margarine, mix, and then add the cheese mixture.
After you have mixed this well, making sure to coat every single noodle lol, dump it all into your prepared pan. (See I do have real pans, and not just aluminum ones lol)
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and return to oven for 15 minutes.
Our Baked Macaroni
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 4 Cups Dry Macaroni Noodles
- 1 Can Campbell’s (or other) Cheddar Soup
- 4 Cups Grated Cheddar, divided
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
- 2 Cans Whole Tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, mix together cheddar soup, 3/4 juice from tomatoes, 3 1/2 cups grated cheddar, mustard and milk until well blended.
- Add drained tomatoes and butter/margarine to cooked, drained noodles. Mix to combine.
- Add cheese mixture to noodle/tomato mixture. Mix well.
- Pour macaroni mixture of pot to prepared pan.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheddar and return to oven for 15 minutes to melt cheese.