Today I had a hankering for quiche. Because of my current “health predicament” I am supposed to be loading up on proteins. A difficult task when you don’t eat any meat, so eggs definitely fill that requirement. Add to that the fact that I LOVE quiche, it’s a match made in heaven.
My favourite is Broccoli & Cheese Quiche but I forgot to buy broccoli so I opted for tomatoes, green onions and cheese. It was delicious!
While I know quiche is very quick and easy to prepare, I will still walk you through how I made it!
Below are the ingredients I used to make today’s quiche. Eggs, of course, cheese, tomatoes, onions and milk, in a pie crust I already rolled out. (One of these days I will do a “Making Pastry” post. I know it took me years to find the best shortening that made fool proof pastry every time, whether mixed by hand or in a stand mixer!)
If you haven’t already done so, prepare your crust and set aside. Grate your cheese and set that aside for now as well.
Dice your tomatoes and chop your green onions. (You will notice I also did a few slices of the wonderfully smelling Hot House tomato I used. This was just to place on top, and only because I thought it would look nicer in the pictures)
Now you will spread the diced tomatoes and green onions evenly in the bottom of your prepared pie crust. Set aside the tomato slices if you are using those as well.
In a large bowl, whisk your 5 eggs until fluffy. (And yes, I did only use 5 eggs, one of them was just a double yolk). When nice and fluffy, add the milk and 2 1/2 cups of cheese and mix well.
Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the tomatoes and onions in the bottom of the pie crust.
Top with the sliced tomatoes (optional) and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, until the egg is cooked through and the cheese on top is nice and brown.
Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut and serve. Makes a great, quick, healthy meal with a side salad.
Note: I always try to have a bowl on hand, even one you’ve already used, to throw my egg shells, veggie peels and anything else in rather than make multiple trips to the garbage or compost bin.
Tomato & Green Onion Quiche
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (with prepared crust) Cook Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- Pie Crust, made ahead, uncooked
- 5 Large Eggs
- 3 Cups Grated Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Large Hot House Tomato, diced
- 2 Green Onions, chopped
- Salt & Pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If you haven’t already done so, prepare your crust and set aside.
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Dice tomatoes and chop green onions.
- Spread the diced tomatoes and green onions evenly in the bottom of prepared pie crust.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 5 eggs until fluffy.
- When nice and fluffy, add the milk, salt & pepper if using, 2 1/2 cups of cheese to eggs and mix well.
- Pour egg and cheese mixture over the tomatoes and onions in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes (optional) and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, until the egg is cooked through and the cheese on top is nice and brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut and serve.