In honour of Cinco de Mayo, we are going to post a couple of “Mexican” recipes. I guess they aren’t really Mexican but they taste it to me!
We love this recipe and tonight I served it with loaded nacho fries, at Chris’ request. I will put that recipe, such as it is, up next!
Here are the ingredients I used, well, I forgot to put the taco seasoning in the picture, but what else is new? I always seem to forget something!
The first thing to do is to brown the lean ground beef. I did mine in the microwave, just because it’s faster. When the ground beef is thoroughly cooked, add the taco seasoning and 3 Tbsp. of water and mix until the seasoning is combined. Set aside.
Next up is chopping the vegetables and grating the cheese. I used tomatoes, green onion and black olives… oh and the lettuce of course, but that’s not used until the very end! Set aside the vegetables and cheese until later.
This is where you make the “crust.” The crust is just 2 cans of Pillsbury Crescent rolls, unrolled and laid out to fully cover the bottom of your prepared cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, put the cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until partially melted. Remove from microwave and add the 500ml container of sour cream. Mix to combine.
When the crust is done, remove from oven and spread cream cheese mixture all over it, covering it to the edges.
Sprinkle the seasoned ground beef over top of the cream cheese mixture and then spread the vegetables evenly over that. Top with the grated cheese.
Return to oven, still at 375 degrees, for 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubble.
Remove from oven and top with chopped lettuce, serve immediately.
Just a note, I think this would also be good without even melting the cheese in the summer for a nice cold meal?
Pictured above with Loaded Nacho Fries and some multi-grain chips for the leavings lol!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Envelope Dry Taco Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 2 Tubes Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Head of Lettuce
- 4 Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Black Olives
- 1 Brick Cream Cheese
- 500 ml Tub Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- Unroll and spread crescent roll dough, completely covering cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 10 – 15 minutes, until browned.
- In a microwaveable bowl, brown ground beef, stirring and breaking meat up until fully cooked.
- Add taco seasoning and water to browned ground beef and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Chop vegetables and grate cheese, set aside.
- In another microwaveable bowl, add cream cheese and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until partially melted.
- Add sour cream to partially melted cream cheese and stir well to combine.
- When crust is baked, remove from oven and spread evenly with cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle seasoned ground beef over cream cheese mixture.
- Top with tomatoes, olives and green onion.
- Spread grated cheese evenly over top of “pizza.”
- Return to oven, bake for 10 – 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and toss chopped lettuce, slice and serve immediately.