I have honestly never cooked with Sun Dried Tomatoes before. I am not sure why, could just be because we love fresh tomatoes so much? Either way, I happened on them in the grocery store and thought, why not give them a try!
I had made chicken in a cream sauce before, it seemed like a good fit to add the sundried tomatoes to this recipe.
The outcome was awesome. Chris and Dillon cleaned their plates, right down to the pattern lol!
If you have never cooked with these before, it is well worth trying out!
Note: I served this over spaghetti noodles. Chris thought I should let everyone know that this would be absolutely awesome over rice lol!
This is what I used for my chicken recipe. Other than the sundried tomatoes, ingredients you probably already have on hand.
The first thing to do is brown the chicken. I browned it in the frying pan with about 2 Tbsp. of margarine, browning both sides.
While the chicken is browning, slice the sundried tomatoes into “slivers,” long thing slices and set aside.
Once the chicken is browned remove to baking pan. Add the cream, broth, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, dried chili peppers and basil to the frying pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
When thickened, remove from heat and pour over chicken. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Bake additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve over noodles or rice
Note: Next time I might try adding some spinach to the recipe!
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken in Cream Sauce
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
- 8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine, for browning chicken
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Chili Peppers, ground
- 1/2 Cup Sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Grated Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease 2 L baking pan.
- Brown Chicken in frying pan with butter or margarine. Brown both sides.
- Slice tomatoes into thin strips.
- Transfer browned chicken breasts to prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- Add cream, broth, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, dried chili peppers1 and basil to frying pan, cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce and tomato mixture over chicken.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately over noodles or rice.