I bought some peppers, intending to make stuffed peppers and then changed my mind. I decided to make little meatloaves and to cook them inside a slice of sweet pepper, placing them on a generous layer of Spirited Mickie Barbeque sauce and then topped with melted cheese!
Chris and Dillon loved them so I decided to share the recipe with you!
Here are my ingredients, I had hoped that this time I remembered to put everything out for the picture but that was not the case lol… I forgot to put ketchup on the counter before I started.
The first thing you are going to do is to slice the peppers, about an inch tall, making sure to cut it so you get pepper rings. Set aside. Keep the tops and bottoms for the next step.
Now you are going to finely dice the “leftover” pepper pieces and then dice a small onion too. These are going to go in the mini meatloaves!
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, Bread crumbs, chopped onions and peppers 1 egg, basil, garlic and ketchup.
Mix until well combined and set aside for a few minutes.
Pour a generous amount of Spirited Mickie or any other bbq sauce into your baking pan and then lay the pepper rings on top of it.
Now, start to shape pieces of the mixture into little “patties” that will fit into your pepper rings and insert the patties into the rings you set aside earlier. Press them firmly into the pepper. I made mine a little bigger to account for the meatloaf shrinking.
Bake these at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Five minutes before serving, sprinkle with grated cheese and return to oven to melt cheese.
Serve over rice or as you would any meatloaf! Enjoy!
Sweet Pepper Ring Meatloaf
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 30 – 45 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef (or pork, turkey, chicken etc.)
- 1/2 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 Sweet Peppers
- 1 Small Onion
- 1/3 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 Cup Spirited Mickie BBQ Sauce, or your favourite
- 1 Cup Grated Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 10″ round baking pan (or 9 x 13)
- Pour the Spirited Mickie sauce into the baking pan, spreading across the bottom evenly.
- Slice peppers into “rings” removing seeds and stem. Save tops and bottoms for next step.
- Place pepper rings evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Chop pepper tops and bottoms and onion fine.
- In a large bowl mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic powder and basil. Mix until well combined.
- Shape pieces of the mixture into little “patties” that will fit into your pepper rings and insert the patties into the rings you set aside earlier.
- Press them firmly into the pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until cooked all the way through
- Five minutes before serving, sprinkle with grated cheese and return to oven to melt cheese.
- Drizzle with some of the sauce from the bottom of the pan when serving.