And since it went fairly well, there will be a Part #2 lol.
I was really concerned when I started these. I have read many horror stories about them disintegrating, not sticking together, sticking to everything they aren’t supposed to and more! I will admit, I did have the sticking to everything problem… well, at least sticking to the molds!
I ordered most of the ingredients online. The only thing I forgot to get was some kind of “oil.” After getting it all out to make I thought I was going to have to wait for another day. But, low and behold, I found some baby oil. It’s oil, so why not?
The first thing to do is to mix up your dry ingredients. I mixed up 1 Cup of baking soda, 1/2 Cup of citric acid, 1/2 cup kosher salt (I didn’t have any sea salt or Epsom 😳) and 1/2 Cup of corn starch.
Now it was time to add some oil, fragrance oil, colouring and water. Because I was using gel colouring, I diluted it into warm water so it would colour evenly. I used a ratio of about 6 drops of gel to 2 Tbsp of water, and I used approximately 8 drops of fragrance oil.
I started out with 2 Tbsp of the baby oil. That slowly turned into about a 1/4 cup of it to make the mixture moist enough to “clump.”
Then came the mold issue. I had no problem jamming the mixture into the mold and forcing them together, the problem came with getting it out of the mold. There was no way I had the patience to wait however long in between for each one to dry enough to pop them out. I had to improvise!
I started off thinking I would line the mold with plastic wrap and just keep popping them out and drop it on the plate. But, then I decided I would use separate plastic wrap for each one! Less mess when the little bits that don’t stick fall off! 💡
Then I ever so patiently let them sit undisturbed overnight. (Not really. I gave them a little poke every time I walked by to see if they were actually setting or crumbling)
Believe it or not, it worked! I had read about how many batches of ingredients some people went through before they finally got the right consistency. Somehow I nailed it first try! I’m sure I’ll pay for that next time around 😕.
Here they are. Finished, just not wrapped up yet. I will update pictures once they are wrapped!