I have seen a lot of different methods/recipes for these on Pinterest and made my version of them this morning for “the boys” for breakfast! They both ate 3 a piece, with some Canadian back bacon, so I would have to say they were a hit!
Here is what I started out with.
In a large bowl I mixed together the hash browns, melted margarine, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Once this was well mixed I pressed it into my muffin tin cups using a spoon and then just my fingers with a little bit of cooking spray on them. I baked this for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
While that was cooking I mixed up 7 eggs with about a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, chopped up my green onions and added that to another bowl with chopped ham and some crumbled cooked bacon. Then I grated some old cheese.
When the 25 minutes were up, I removed the muffin tin from the oven, sprinkled the onion mixture into the bottom of the hash brown cups, put a little bit of the grated cheese on that, poured the egg mixture evenly into each cup and then sprinkled it with a bit more of the cheese.
I baked this for another 25 minutes, still at 400 and this is what came out of the oven!
Hash Brown “Cupcakes”
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 50 – 60 minutes Servings: 12
- 1 package shredded potatoes
- 1 Cup grated old cheddar, divided
- 1/2 cup melted butter/margarine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease muffin tin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together the hash browns, melted margarine, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Press hash brown mixture into muffin tin cups, covering the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake these at 400 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes, until starting to brown and crisp.
- Mix together the 7 eggs and parmesan in a large measuring cup, set aside.
- Mix together the onions, ham and bacon in another bowl, set aside.
- When hash brown cups are finished baking sprinkle first the onion mixture, then half of the cheese into the cups.
- Pour egg mixture over ham, bacon, onions and cheese in the hash brown cups.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for another 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.