Today I made a Chicken Enchilada style dinner in one of my cast iron skillets. I used my biggest skillet and there were no leftovers at all lol. Dillon was grabbing his third piece when he thought to actually ask what he was eating and Chris definitely cleaned his plate as well!
Here is what I used to make this!
I had already cooked and shredded 2 chicken breasts, chopped my onions and peppers, tomatoes, grated my cheese and mixed up my own version of an enchilada sauce, so I was able to get right into making it.
I started by mixing the onions and peppers in with the shredded chicken and mixing that up.
After that it was just actually assembling the “Pie.” I started by lightly greasing my skillet and then laying down the first of the 3 tortillas in the bottom of my skillet.
(The tortillas I bought weren’t quite big enough for my pan so I used a bit of cut and paste to make sure the pan was covered on each layer)
Next I added half the chicken mixture on top of this.
Then it was about a third of the enchilada sauce and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar. And then went through the same steps with another tortilla.
I layered another tortilla on top of this, covered it with the remaining sauce, the halved grape tomatoes, the remaining cheddar and then sprinkled this with the crumbled feta cheese.
I baked this at 400 degrees for about a half hour. This smelled so delicious while it was cooking that I actually snuck a piece for dinner 😦
Now I just sliced it like a pizza and served it with a dollop of sour cream on each piece!
Chicken Enchilada Skillet Pie
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
- 3 Large Flour Tortillas
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Large Green Pepper, chopped
- 3 Cups Grated Cheddar
- 2 Cups of your Favourite Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Cup Halved Grape Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Sour Cream to top, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease cast iron skillet.
- Mix together the shredded chicken with the onions and peppers in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Lay your first tortilla in the bottom of the prepared skillet.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture.
- Pour 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce on top of chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 Cup of grated cheddar.
- Repeat this layer ending with grated cheddar
- Top with remaining tortilla and pour remaining sauce on top, spreading evenly to coat entire tortilla with sauce.
- Sprinkle halved grape tomatoes over tortilla.
- Cover with remaining grated cheddar and crumbled feta.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly and top tortilla is starting to crisp.
- Serve sliced like a pizza with a dollop of sour cream on each slice.
CAST IRON SKILLET FROM AMAZON.CA