Now is the fun part… making the ooey, gooey filling for the butter tarts. Just a little story…. every single time I make butter tarts I think of our Uncle Chris! Uncle Chris and my Chris used to work together. Uncle Chris like to rummage through my Chris’ lunch can to see what treats he had. One day it was butter tarts. Chris came home and told me that Uncle Chris said they were a bit too sweet for him. I thought I would get revenge lol. I made a couple of empty tart shells and sent them to work with Chris with a note for Uncle Chris asking if those ones were too sweet!!!
Here are the ingredients again. This picture includes the ingredients for making the pastry as well, as demonstrated in Part #1 of The Butter Tart lol.
To make the filling, you start out by melting 3 Tbsp. of butter/margarine in the microwave for about a minute until fully melted.
To this you are going to add your brown sugar and corn syrup and whisk until combined.
Next you add the egg, vinegar and a pinch of salt and whisk until completely mixed.. At this point you can also add the raisins but I prefer to put the raisins in the tart shells before pouring in the filling so the raisins are evenly distributed through out the tarts and because I like a lot of raisins!
This is where I stop and add the raisins to the prepared tart shells.
Pour the filling you just made, making sure it is spread evenly between the tart shells.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes and you have these gooey, sweet butter tarts to enjoy!
Butter Tart Filling
Preparation: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 12
- 3 Tbsp. Butter/Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- Dash Salt
- 1 Cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare tart shells if you haven’t already.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter/margarine in the microwave until fully melted. About 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup to melted butter. Mix well.
- Add egg, vinegar and salt to butter mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add raisins to filling mixture, or distribute raisins evenly in prepared tart shells.
- Pour filling evenly into prepared tart shells.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.