I have seen many different versions of this online, so I decided to make my own version for “the boys.” I used 2 full pounds of lean ground beef, and honestly thought I was making way too much. Dillon ate his one pound meatza pizza in less that 2 minutes. I swear, he inhaled it. Chris ate half of his but we had also gone out for a late lunch so he was still a bit full from that! Either way, it was obviously a hit!
Here are my ingredients, ready to go.
I started out by breaking up the slice of bread into small squares, adding a half a cup of milk and microwaving it for 1 minute to soften up the bread and mashed it to use instead of bread crumbs.
I added this to my lean ground beef in a large bowl with the eggs and garlic powder.
I mixed it all up until everything was combined and then punched the mixture a few times to make sure it would stick together.
I divided the meat mixture in half and pressed it into thin circles on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet to make my “crusts.”
I baked these at 375 for 15 minutes and then drained the grease. I also transferred them to fresh sheets of parchment.
This is where the fun part starts! I started by spreading pizza sauce evenly over the whole crust. I used a small can of pizza sauce and just split it between the two.
I added a thin layer of cheese so the topping would stick and then spread the sliced hot sausage evenly over both meatzas.
Next I added the rest of the toppings, I used diced tomatoes, mushrooms and orange sweet peppers.
I topped that with lots of grated cheese! I used a double cheddar mix.
Then I baked them at 375 for another 15 minutes until the cheese was melted and starting to bubble.
This is what they looked like right before serving!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 – 35 minutes. Servings: 4
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 small can pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup pepperoni slices or sliced hot Italian sausage
- 3 cups grated cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine bread, broken into small pieces, with milk.
- Microwave on high to soften bread, mash with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, bread mixture, eggs and garlic powder until well combined, punching a few times to ensure it sticks together when cooking.
- Divide meat mixture into two pieces.
- Shape each half of meat mixture into a thin disk/crust on parchment lined cookie sheets, to about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until crust is fully cooked and starting to brown. Crusts will shrink during baking.
- Drain grease and transfer to clean sheets of parchment paper and return to cookie sheets.
- Spread pizza sauce evenly between the two crusts.
- Add a thin layer/1/2 cup of cheese and the Italian sausage or pepperoni.
- Add the remaining toppings.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheeses evenly between the two crusts.
- Bake at 375 degrees for another 10 – 15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cut into slices. Serve immediately.