Sewing did not turn out so well on Saturday. My 40 year old machine has sewn it’s last stitch 😣.
Chris thought we should try the 70 year old machine in the sewing table in the craft room. While it still actually runs, it was missing the bobbin casing, so no sewing.
Before I break down and get a new one, we still have an old black Kenmore I’m going to try tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
In the meantime…….
I wanted to make something different for dessert tonight and I’ve been wanting to try a pound cake in the tube pan I picked up for $2 when Chris and I went to the thrift store.
I knew I had frozen cranberries and a lemon in the fridge, so I was good to go.
I started out with the following, although I didn’t have any cake flour so I used a substitute. I removed 1 Tbsp of flour from each of the 3 cups and substituted them with 3 Tbsp of corn starch.
I started by juicing the lemon and then grating the rind in my food processor.
I added the melted margarine and 2 cups of sugar to the bowl of my stand mixer and mixed until well blended.
I added the 4 eggs and mixed until fluffy.
Now I added the juice, grated rind and vanilla. Mix well
I added the flour, corn starch, salt, baking powder and milk and mixed into a batter
Now all I needed to do was add the frozen cranberries, folding them in.
I poured the batter into my prepared tube pan.
Baked it at 350 degrees for 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto plate.
You can sprinkle with icing sugar or make a thin glaze, but we just ate ours sliced and plain!
Cranberry Lemon Pound Cake
Preparation time : 25 minutes Cook Time : 75 minutes Servings : 12 slices
- 1 cup of melted butter or margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease tube pan. Set aside.
- Squeeze all of the juice from lemon then grate rind by hand or food processor. Set aside until needed.
- In bowl of stand mixer, add melted butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Add eggs and mix until fluffy.
- Next add lemon juice, grated rind and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and milk. Blend.
- Fold in frozen cranberries. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes then invert onto plate.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar or glaze or eat plain.