Okay, here is the recipe I did for Red Beans and Rice. Last night we had it just as it is, with a bit of grated cheese sprinkled on top. I think today I am going to try it in a tortilla like a wrap with some cheese and maybe refried beans! Yum!
Here are the ingredients I used to make it.
I started by sautéing the sweet pepper (which I forgot to put in the picture again), in a bit of olive oil. I cooked it for about 3 minutes, just until it started to soften and get fragrant.
Next I added the rice, garlic powder and cayenne to the pan and “toasted” the rice for about 2 minutes until it started to brown
I poured in the chicken broth and tomato sauce and brought this mixture to a boil.
I added the beans, drained and rinsed, to the pan and then let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice was cooked and absorbed the “broth.”
I served it plain tonight with just a bit of grated cheddar on top! It is delicious.
Red Beans and Rice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
- I large can kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 – 2 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
- Add chopped pepper (and onion) to large skillet with olive oil.
- Saute for about 2 minutes until peppers are starting to soften and get fragrant.
- Add rice, garlic powder and cayenne and continue to sauté for about 3 minutes to toast the rice. It will start to brown a bit.
- Add chicken broth and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Pour rinsed and drained kidney beans to pan and simmer for 15 minutes until rice is tender and has absorbed the broth.
- Serve hot with grated cheese on top, or make into a burrito!