Kim brought a veggie lasagna up to our place a while back for dinner. I can’t remember if it was for my birthday or for Mother’s Day, but it was delicious. It was something I hadn’t made myself before. I always associated veggie lasagna with a frozen one I tried years ago, and it was nasty! When I tried hers, I realized what I had been missing!
I have been meaning to make one for ages and just finally made it today for dinner.
The ingredients I used are pictured below. We always use fresh lasagna noodles now. They just taste so much better! Besides, you also don’t have to stand over the stove and wait for the other ones to cook this way either!
I started out by chopping all the veggies and adding all but the tomatoes to my frying pan with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and the garlic spice mixture.
While this is cooking, I mixed together the cottage cheese, eggs and 1/2 cup of parmesan and set it aside for later.
Here are the veggies after about 5 minutes! It smells as good as it looks!
I added the chopped tomatoes and cooked for an additional minute.
When it was done, I added all but 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce to the veggies and set it aside.
In the bottom of your greased 9 x 13 baking pan, spread the 1/2 cup of marinara, making sure to get it all over the bottom.
Add your first layer of fresh lasagna noodles.
Spread almost half of the veggies mixture on top of the lasagna noodles. We want to end up with almost a cup of the veggie mixture at the end to add to the top of the last layer of noodles.
Top this with half of the cottage cheese mixture.
About 1 cup of grated cheese.
Add another layer of the fresh lasagna noodles and then repeat, ending with the last layer of lasagna noodles.
Spread the leftover veggie and sauce mixture on top of the lasagna noodles, it helps stop the noodles from getting crunchy.
Top this with the remaining grated cheese, parmesan and sprinkle about 1 tsp of oregano on top of the cheeses.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes and enjoy!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
- 1 package fresh lasagna noodles
- 3 cups grated cheese (I used Cracker Barrel Italiano)
- 1 jar marinara sauce (or homemade)
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp garlic spice mixture
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 cup chopped orange peppers
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 500 ml tub cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Add all chopped veggies to frying pan except tomatoes.
- Add olive oil and garlic spice mixture and sauté for about 5 minutes until the veggies have started to soften.
- While this is cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, parmesan and eggs. Mix well and set aside.
- When veggies are cooked, add chopped tomato and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Remove from heat and add all but 1/2 cup marinara sauce, mix to combine.
- Pour 1/2 cup of marinara sauce in bottom of prepared pan. Spread to cover bottom of pan.
- Add first layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread almost half of veggies and sauce mixture over noodles.
- Top with half of cottage cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheese.
- Top with another layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat, ending with last layer of lasagna noodle.
- Spread remaining veggies and sauce mixture on top of last layer of noodles.
- Top with remaining grated cheese, parmesan and sprinkle oregano on top.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until heated through and cheese is all melted and bubbly.
- Slice and serve.