Here is another recipe to avoid heating up your kitchen in summer when you just have to have mashed potatoes lol! I don’t know about you but mashed potatoes fall under the comfort food category to me. By themselves, with gravy, with cheese, garlic smashed potatoes, doesn’t matter, they are delicious any old way, but I do not want to have be boiling potatoes in the heat of the afternoon to satisfy that craving. Microwave to the rescue again!
The ingredients for making microwave mashed potatoes are pretty much the same as when you make them on the stove top.
You start by washing, peeling and dicing your potatoes. The smaller the dice, the faster they will cook. I cut mine about an inch square and placed them in a microwave safe bowl.
You cover them tightly with plastic wrap and microwave them on high for 8 minutes, stirring them halfway through, making sure to recover them tightly with the plastic wrap.
After the 8 minutes, remove them from the microwave and add the cubed cheeses and the seasoning, rewrapping it again. I used a seasoning called Mama Mia, it is a combination of Italian seasonings and garlic. Mix it all up.
Microwave it for another 4 minutes, still on high, then remove from microwave and remove plastic wrap. It should look like this.
Mash that all up!
Now I added 1 tbsp. of butter and 3 heaping tbsp. of sour cream.
Mash/mix this all in and you are left with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes that you just cooked in the microwave!
You can eat them straight away or you can put them in an oven safe pan, like I did, to reheat later with the rest of dinner!
I also added some chopped up, cooked bacon to the top of mine, which is entirely optional but “the boys” like their bacon!
I reheated them at 350 for 40 minutes and served them with dinner.
Microwave Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 12 minutes/40 minutes Servings: 4
- 6 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cubed cheese, I used cheddar and mozzarella
- 1 tsp. Mama Mia seasoning
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 heaping tbsp. sour cream
- Chopped, cooked bacon, optional
- Add prepared potatoes to large microwave safe bowl.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring and rewrapping after 4 minutes.
- Add cubed cheese and seasoning to potatoes, stir and rewrap.
- Microwave an additional 4 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from microwave and mash potatoes and cheese mixture until there are no lumps.
- Add butter and sour cream and mash/stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or scoop into greased baking pan and sprinkle chopped, cooked bacon on top and heat.
To reheat: Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until heated through.