Sewing – Dust Cover for KitchenAid Mixer – Budget Kitchen Makeover – Part #4

As I mentioned in the Fabric Bags post, as part of my Budget Kitchen Makeover, I was going to make a dust cover for my KitchenAid stand mixer.  I did that the other day.  It didn’t turn out too bad although I could have measured around the bottom a bit better 😦

All things considered, it still does what it is supposed to do lol, and when we decided to start blogging we said we would post whether it turned out or not to keep our blog real.

Sandie

Again, I started out with the fabric I picked up on that trip to Walmart lol.

I cut out 12 – 3″ x 3″ squares of contrast fabrics.  I chose a yellow patterned fabric and a gray patterned fabric to go with the darker gray I was using for the main part of the cover.

I also cut out a 3″ x 2″ square to use as a little handle/loop for the top of the cover.

20170801_112537

I actually started out by making the loop I was going to use at the top.  I began by pressing it first in half.

20170801_113240

And then pressing the outer edges in towards the half fold.

20170801_113329

It ended up looking like this and I just ran 2 running stitches along it to hold it together.

20170801_113410

Next I sewed all the 3 x 3 squares together into strips to go across the bottom of the main portion of the dust cover.

20170801_115923

I pressed all of the seams on the strips open.

20170801_120645

I started on the main part of the cover now.  I had decided to put a dart in the top of each side to accommodate the width of the stand mixer a bit.  I pinned and sewed the darts in place and then pressed them flat.

Now I sewed the strips to the main pieces of the cover, right sides together.

20170801_121834

Pressed that seam open and then pinned the two pieces together.

20170801_122450

I folded the loop in half and pinned it to the top inside centre of the cover, adding an extra pin to hold in place.

20170801_122506

Once sewn together I clipped the edges all the way around.

20170801_123829

Now I pinned a double folded hem all the way around the bottom of the cover.

20170801_124527

I sewed it and then pressed it flat.

20170801_125052

And this is the cover when it is all finished.

20170801_125242

And on the KitchenAid.  Like I said, it is a little tight but it could stretch a bit over time… hopefully… my measuring skills aren’t so great right now lol.

20170801_125429

I only have one more little project to do to finish this portion of my Budget Kitchen Makeover… this portion!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Sewing – Dust Cover for KitchenAid Mixer – Budget Kitchen Makeover – Part #4

Please Leave a Reply, we would love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s