The last few times I’ve grocery shopped I’ve either forgotten or couldn’t find croutons. And yes, I did look in the bread aisle lol. All they had were what I can best describe as little Melba toast.
I picked up the stuff to make “the boys ” Caesar salad and still had no croutons. How hard could it be to make little squares of stale garlicky bread lol?
It is in fact very simple and very quick!
I used 3 slices of plain white bread, vegetable oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and a couple drops of hot sauce.
I cubed the bread using my pizza cutter and cutting board. The pizza cutter made quick work with the bread. I cut my bread smaller than the usual croutons size because Chris isn’t a fan of the big crunchy brick like store bought ones. I usually partially crush those.
I added my cubed bread to the mixing bowl.
I tossed in the spices and mixed it up.
I poured in the vegetable oil and hot sauce and mixed to coat all the bread cubes.
Then I dumped the whole thing into my parchment paper lined pan.
I baked it at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, pulling it out and mixing them up every 2 minutes and making sure they didn’t burn.
I wanted them just to the brown and crispy stage.
And that’s it, homemade croutons! Fast, easy and totally adjustable to personal preference.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes Cooking time : 8 minutes Serving size: 1 cup
- 3 slices white bread
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 – 3 drops hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cube bread using knife or pizza cutter, place in mixing bowl.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Pour in vegetable oil and hot sauce, stirring to coat all the cubes.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until browned and crispy, making sure they don’t burn.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to add to your next salad!