This is another one of those things I have been dying to try but never got around to it until today…. candles made from crayons.
I won’t lie, it was very time consuming but it is also very easy and inexpensive to make.
To give credit where credit is due, Dillon did unwrap a whole 6 crayons before he ditched me for something better lol!!!
I started out with 3 large boxes of crayons as well as 2 boxes of glitter crayons… just because. I had also picked up some wicking and the bases for the candle wick when I was out last week. It too was very inexpensive. I don’t think I paid more than $3 for both packages.
Next is the time consuming part… taking the wrapping off of ALL of the crayons! I used my box cutter to slit the paper and then slide it off. Much easier than trying to pick it all off… unless you have little ones you can con into peeling them lol!
This is how many wrappers I had when I was done! Craziness, but I really wanted to try this!
I sorted all the freshly unwrapped crayons by colour, or close to it anyway.
I chose pink to start. I first broke the crayons in half and then put them in a sandwich bag to try to avoid some mess. Then I took my pretty little pink hammer and went to town. I was aiming to have all the pieces about 1 cm or less.
I used my pliers to squeeze the wick holder around the wick after I fed it through the hole. After I measured the length I needed for each jar I added an extra 3 inches to the wick, just in case. It will be trimmed at the end.
Now I taped the base of the wick to the bottom of each jar, just to make it easier to hold it in place when I was pouring the broken crayons in them.
I poured the crayon pieces into the jar, stopping every so often to press them down and tap the jar to make sure there weren’t too many gaps. The tighter they are packed, the better.
I did the same thing with the rest of the jars I was making candles in…
I put them all on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet because I wasn’t sure if they would overflow or anything.
I baked them for 15 minutes at 200 degrees as I had read in a few pins but it wasn’t enough. I put them back in the oven, but at 350 degrees for another 10 minutes and that seemed to do the trick.
This is what they looked like when I pulled them from the oven after that last 10 minutes.
I trimmed the wicks and put the rings back on the little mason jars. And that’s it… Crayon Candles! I am saving the small ones to add to Christmas gifts!
I love how they sort of marbled when they were melting. It’s a pretty cool effect. Can’t wait to try with the other 300 crayons I bought lol!