Yes, strange title lol. I saw something like this on Facebook a while back and only just got around to trying it. As the title implies, it is made with “leftover, ” stale bread, and turned into something great!
We had some french bread the other night, and there was still plenty left to try this.
I used the leftover /stale bread, oil, water, minced garlic, oregano, tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella.
I began by breaking up the bread into about 1 inch cubes.
I added the oil, garlic, oregano and water and using my hands, mixed it all together.
(This was the point where I was just dying to add onions and sage and turning it into stuffing lol!)
I pressed the bread mixture into a parchment paper lined pan, spreading it evenly.
I spread the Tomato sauce all over the bread mixture.
And then topped it with the mozzarella and remaining oregano.
I baked it at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Once cooked, I removed it from the oven and sliced it for dinner!
A great way to use up any stale or leftover bread!
“Leftover Bread ” Bread
Preparation time : 10 minutes Cooking Time : 25 minutes Servings : 4
- 4 cups of stale bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup oil, your choice what type
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp oregano, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Break bread into 1 inch cubes. Place in large mixing bowl.
- Add water, oil, garlic and 1 Tsp oregano. Using hands, mix well.
- Press into bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread tomato sauce on bread mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and remaining oregano.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until crispy and cheese is melted and browned.
- Slice and serve immediately.