Yes, the spaghetti part was completely unintentional. I started out making a recipe I saw on Pinterest. It was just supposed to be a crock pot casserole type meal. After the allotted cooking time, I opened the crock pot to find a big sloppy mess. Sorry to the pinner whose recipe I tried, but it was more the consistency of soup than anything else. I certainly couldn’t just scoop it onto a plate and serve it.
This was now about a half hour before dinner, nothing else thawed that I could quickly cook so I had to improvise. I figured it was already a big mess…. so I decided to just add some spaghetti noodles to it and see if it sopped up some of the liquid in the “soup.”
It did and although it was touch and go for a bit, “the boys” ate it with gusto!
Here are the ingredients I used, obviously with out the spaghetti noodles because that was unplanned lol.
I had already browned and drained the ground beef so I was able to just go to the next step.
I added the green onion, taco seasoning mix and water to the ground beef.
I mixed it well… and then added it to the bottom of my crock pot bowl.
I put a layer of drained black beans on top of the ground beef mixture in the crock pot.
Next was a layer of frozen corn.
And then the salsa.
Next I mixed the can of cheddar cheese cream soup with the milk.
I poured the soup over everything in the crock pot and cooked it on low for 6 hours.
I was so upset it hadn’t turned out that in my panic I forgot to take a picture of said big sloppy mess!
I added about 3 quarter sized bunches of spaghetti noodles to the crock pot, put the lid back on and crossed my fingers lol!
When I opened the lid 15 minutes later or so, I found it had in fact absorbed most of the liquid, thank goodness!
This is how it looked post-spaghetti noodles. Not so bad.
I sprinkled about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella on top of it and cooked it, still on low, for another 10 minutes and thankfully we were good to go!
When I served it up on the plates, I topped it with some chopped romaine lettuce and tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.
Instead of a bowl of “Taco Soup,” this is what I was able to feed them for dinner! Phew! Crisis averted.
My Unintentional Taco Spaghetti
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 6 hours Servings: 4
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 quarter size servings dry spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. sour cream
- Brown and drain ground beef, if you haven’t already.
- Add green onions, taco seasoning mix and water to ground beef and mix well.
- Pour into crock pot bowl, spreading evenly.
- Top ground beef mixture with whole can of drained black beans.
- Spread the corn on top of black beans, evenly.
- Pour salsa on top of black beans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soup and milk.
- Pour soup mixture evenly over top of everything else in the crock pot bowl.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, add dry spaghetti noodles and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Stir and then sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Spoon onto plates and top with chopped romaine and tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.