Chris has been asking /bugging me for an apple pie since the Peach Pie has been gone. Since yesterday was our wedding anniversary, I made one for him. Happy Anniversary Chris lol!
Here are the ingredients I used, plus a little white sugar for dusting the top of the pie before baking.
Begin by making your pastry if you haven’t already. I had some frozen that I made last week, so I just had to thaw it. If you’ve never made your own pastry before, please see our Making Pastry post!
I washed, peeled, cored and sliced about 10 apples into a large bowl.
I added the melted margarine and mixed well.
I added the remaining ingredients except for the egg, and stirred it all up.
I like to soften my apples before I put them in the pie, so I microwaved them on high for 5 minutes, stirring half way through.
Once softened, I rolled out my pastry, poured the apples in the bottom crust and then added a nice lattice top.
Lastly, I beat the egg and brushed the top of the pie with the beaten egg and then sprinkled the top with white sugar.
I baked it at 375 degrees for 45 minutes and it came out of the oven looking like this!
Here is Chris’ Happy Anniversary Apple Pie lol!
From Scratch Apple Pie
Preparationtime : 30 minutes Cooking Time : 45 minutes Servings : 8
- Pastry, enough for double crust pie
- 10 – 12 medium size apples
- 1/3 cup butter /margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 /4 Tsp. Allspice
- 1/4 cup white sugar, optional for dusting top of pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pastry accordingto Tenderflake box, or your own recipe
- Wash, peel, core and slice apples into a large bowl.
- Add melted butter and stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the egg.
- Mix well.
- Microwave apple mixture on high heat for 5 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Roll out bottom of pie and trim.
- Pour apples into bottom crust.
- Top with pastry lattice.
- Brush top of pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with white sugar, optional.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let cool. Serve warm or wrap when cool.