Today I made Hot Pepper Jelly for our Christmas Preserve Baskets. Hot pepper jelly is one of those quick to make preserves, I don’t think it took me an hour from start to finish.
People love hot pepper jelly on cream cheese or brie on top of a cracker as well as many other ways and it will make a great addition to our baskets this year!
Here are my ingredients. I used a bit of jalapeño pepper as well as the chili peppers I grew myself!
I got my jars ready to go.
I started by chopping all the peppers in my food processor on chop until they were all finely chopped.
These are the hot peppers once they were chopped. I read somewhere a while back that it is the seeds that make it hotter so I left them all in there.
I put all of the chopped peppers in a large pot.
Then I added 2 cups of vinegar and 3 cups of sugar.
Mixed it up and brought it all to a rolling boil.
I added the Certo and brought it back to a boil for a full minute and now it is ready for the jars.
I ladled it into my jars.
Put the lids on, finger tight, and processed it in a hot water bath for about 15 minutes.
I wiped down the jars, labeled them and now we will have some wonderful, colourful, hot pepper jelly to add to our baskets at Christmas!
Hot Pepper Jelly
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Processing Time: 15 minutes
- 3 green peppers, seeded
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 1 orange pepper, seeded
- 2 jalapenos peppers
- handful of chili peppers
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 box Certo
- Prepare Jars and set aside.
- Finely chop all the peppers in a food processor and add to large pot.
- Add vinegar and sugar to pot, mix well.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil.
- Add Certo to mixture and stir.
- Bring back to a full boil and let boil for 1 full minute.
- Ladle mixture into jars.
- Add caps and rings, finger tight.
- Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Wipe jars and label.
- Let set about 2 weeks before using.