As I mentioned in an earlier post, someone I know isn’t feeling very well. I offered to make a few different kinds of soup to hopefully help them feel better. What is better when you are feeling under the weather than a nice hot bowl of homemade soup?
I am adding quinoa to this chicken noodle soup for the protein alone. Just a little boost when you aren’t feeling up to par.
This will give my friend some homemade soup, for the freezer, for whenever they feel like eating some.
I am making this Crock pot version of Chicken Noodle Soup, an Italian Lentil soup and then my absolute favourite, I don’t feel well soup…. Potato soup with dill and cream cheese. I will post the recipes for the other two as I make them.
Here are my ingredients. (This time I forgot to add the bay leaves and olive oil to the picture!)
I began by washing, peeling and cutting the carrots, celery and onion. I probably used about 1/2 of that onion because it was so big! I chopped everything right into the crock pot.
I laid the chicken breast pieces right on top of the chopped vegetables, drizzled it with a bit of olive oil and then sprinkled the rosemary, parsley, thyme and poultry seasoning on top of that.
I sprinkled the quinoa on top of the chicken and vegetables.
Poured in the broth and then set the crock pot to low and cooked this for about 7 hours.
When everything was fully cooked, I removed the chicken breasts to the cutting board to shred.
I added the egg noodles to the crock pot and turned it up to high until the noodles were cooked, about 15 minutes.
I returned the shredded chicken to the crock pot and tasted it. I didn’t add any salt or pepper, I wanted to leave that up to the receiver to decide if they wanted any.
A wonderful smelling pot of homemade chicken soup with vegetables and quinoa!
Once cooled I transferred the soup to a plastic container ready for the freezer and transport to my friend!
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Quinoa and Vegetables
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 6 – 8 hours Servings: 9
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Wash, peel and chop celery, carrots and onions, chopping right into bowl of crock pot.
- Layer chicken breasts on top of vegetables.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with the rosemary, thyme, parsley and poultry seasoning.
- Next sprinkle the quinoa on top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Pour the chicken broth over top of everything in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for about 7 hours until everything is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and place on cutting board.
- Add egg noodles to crock pot and turn it up to high heat until noodles are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken back to crock pot and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Freezes well in tightly sealed container.