Here is my third, and final soup recipe for this week. This time I made a nice, hearty vegetable soup with lentils, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes and spinach, all in a vegetable broth. With seasonings and plenty of garlic, this could be my new go to, I don’t feel well soup!
Here are all the yummy ingredients I put into this soup.
I began by washing, peeling and chopping all the vegetables and putting them in a large pot with the olive oil and minced garlic.
I sautéed the vegetables over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until they were starting to get tender.
I rinsed and then drained the lentils.
Next I added the tomatoes, vegetable broth, seasonings and the rinsed and drained lentils.
I mixed it all together, brought it to a boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, I added the (still frozen) spinach and let it simmer for another 15 minutes until the spinach had thawed and was spread through out the soup.
And that is all it takes to make a hearty, healthy soup for those cool evenings or when you aren’t feeling up to par!
Hearty Lentil & Vegetable Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes Servings: 6 – 8
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can seasoned whole tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 package frozen spinach leaves
- Wash, peel and chop celery, carrots, zucchini and onion.
- Rinse and then drain lentils
- Add vegetables to large pot with olive oil and minced garlic.
- Saute over medium high heat for 5 minutes, just until vegetables are tender.
- To the vegetables, add vegetable broth, tomatoes with juice, lentils and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach and simmer for an additional 15 minutes until spinach is thawed and mixed throughout soup.
- Heat through and serve.