Here is the second of the three soup recipes I am posting that I am making for someone I know who is under the weather.
This soup is my go to, I don’t feel well soup, so I thought it would be a great choice to share!
Potato soup doesn’t seem to take very good pictures but it sure tastes good.
These are the ingredients I used. Potatoes of course, lots of fresh dill and my secret ingredient… cream cheese.
I started by washing, peeling and dicing the potatoes.
I added the fresh dill and the minced garlic.
I covered the potatoes with half water, half chicken broth and added a tablespoon of margarine.
I boiled the potatoes until they were fork tender.
While the potatoes were cooking I made a white sauce.
I melted the margarine in a microwave safe, large measuring cup. Next I added the flour and mixed it into a paste.
I added the milk next then microwaved it on high, in one minute increments, until thickened. It took about 3 minutes.
When the potatoes were cooked, I added the cream cheese (I used dill cream cheese), by the tablespoon and mashed the potatoes while the cheese melted.
Once mashed, I added the white sauce and whisked to combine.
I put the pot back on the stove over medium low heat to heat through.
I let it cool and put it in a plastic container to freeze until I could deliver it. I did however scoop out one bowl to save for myself because it’s potato soup and I just can’t resist it, not feeling well or not!
My Favourite Potato Soup
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 6 – 8
- 10 – 12 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tub cream cheese, I used dill cream cheese
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes.
- Place in pot with chopped fresh dill, minced garlic, margarine, chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
- To make White Sauce:
- In a large measuring cup, melt margarine.
- Add flour and whisk into a paste.
- Add milk, mix well, and microwave on high heat, in one minute increments until thickened. About 3 minutes.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add cream cheese and mash potatoes until smooth and cream cheese is melted.
- Add white sauce and whisk until smooth.
- Return to stove top and cook over medium low heat until fully heated through.
- Serve hot, with grated cheddar or parmesan on top.