Today I am feeling very lazy. It has been a very busy week. Thursday was an 8 hour road trip, Friday was a 6 hour road trip, Saturday was rushing around trying to finish up a few dishes for Sunday and Sunday itself was another 8 hour road trip! Between that and having Botox injections in my head…. 38 flipping needles… to supposedly help with headaches from my TBI, I am completely exhausted. That made me decide that tonight’s dinner is going to be a crock pot dinner. Set it and forget it! I will pair it with some garlic bread from the bread I had left over from last weekend and froze and the rest of the cucumber salad my mother-in-law was nice enough to send back with us yesterday. In less than a half hour, dinner is prepared and cooking itself!
These are my ingredients. Well, except for the grated parmesan I decided to sprinkle on top at the last minute!
I started off by browning the ground beef in the microwave. It was still partially frozen because I decided what I was making on the spur of the moment… that and as stated above, I am very lazy today, and I just like how quick and neat browning it in the microwave is!
Once it was browned I added the seasonings… salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley flakes and paprika, and mixed it up.
While the ground beef was cooking in the microwave, I washed and sliced my potatoes. I sliced them as thin as I could.. some are not so thin but I put them in anyway lol!
And thinly sliced the onion.
Now it was time to start layering everything in my greased crock pot bowl.
I began by layering half of the potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot bowl.
Then half the onions.
Half the ground beef…. I am sure you are getting the pattern here lol!
And then of course, half the cheese.
I repeated the 4 layers, using the second half of everything.
I poured the chicken broth over top of everything, sprinkled the parmesan cheese I decided to add last minute, and then set it to cook on low for 6 hours.
This is how it looked when it was done cooking.
Cheesy Beef & Potato Casserole – Crock Pot Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 6 hours Servings: 6
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. garlic power
- 4 – 6 medium potatoes, to equal about 6 cups of sliced potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups grated cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, optional
- Lightly spray crock pot bowl with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef in microwave, on high heat, until browned and juices run clear.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, parsley and garlic powder to ground beef and mix well to combine.
- Wash and thinly slice potatoes.
- Peel and thinly slice onion.
- Lay half of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot bowl.
- Next layer half the onions, then half of the ground beef mixture and then half the grated cheese.
- Repeat these layers, ending again with the layer of grated cheese.
- Pour chicken broth evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan, if using.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.