I was in the driveway, standing and talking with Chris, trying to decide what to make for dinner. He of course said a giant steak lol, but that I didn’t have in the freezer. I did know however, that I had frozen chicken balls and egg rolls in the freezer. I didn’t have any sweet and sour sauce but I remembered I froze the rest of the crushed pineapple and juice that was left over when I made my Carrot Cake last week.
That decided what we were having right then and there. I will cook up some Fried Rice, the chicken balls, egg rolls and make some sweet and sour sauce!
These are my ingredients to make this.
I started by adding the pineapple, soya sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and ketchup to a large, microwave safe bowl and whisked it together.
I microwaved it on high for about 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
When that was starting to bubble, I mixed up a corn starch slurry of 1 1/2 tbsp. of corn starch and 2 tbsp. of water and added that to the bowl.
I mixed it in and then returned the bowl to the microwave for another 3 minutes until it thickened, again stirring every minute.
I added a couple of drops of red food colouring to mimic the colour of take out sweet and sour sauce and poured it over the chicken balls once they were cooked! Delicious!
Homemade Sweet & Sour Sauce
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 8 minutes Servings: 16 Tbsp.
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tsp. water
- In large microwave safe bowl, combine first 5 ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, until bubbly, stirring every minute.
- While this is cooking, make a corn starch slurry by combining the corn starch and water to make the slurry.
- Add slurry to bubbling ingredients in bowl and mix well.
- Return bowl to microwave and cook on high heat for another 3 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Serve over chicken balls, diced cooked chicken or your choice.
- Store any leftovers in fridge covered.