In honour of our “Six Months of Blogging,” I thought I would make a special cake to post. My husband’s background includes German and I have been wanting to make this cake for ages so it seemed the perfect fit!
These are the ingredients needed for this recipe…. plus butter or margarine which I of course forgot to include in the picture. Six months and I still seem to forget something each time 😦
I began by creaming together the butter and sugar in the bowl of my stand mixer.
Once this was done, I added my eggs, one at a time with the mixer still going. I did not try to take another “in action” picture this time lol.
When both eggs have been added and the mixture is smooth, add the flour and baking powder.
Mix this until everything is completely combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
Spread the cake batter into your prepared pan. I used parchment paper and cooking spray.
Now I washed, peeled, cored and sliced my apples.
And spread them evenly over top of the cake batter, pressing down so they are mostly in the batter.
I sprinkled it with the second amount of sugar and baked it at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
I removed it from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
And then I sprinkled it with the icing sugar. We will enjoy it for dessert tonight with French Vanilla Cappuccino!
Apfelkuchen: German Apple Cake
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 60 – 70 minutes Servings: 8
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 medium apples
- 4 tbsp. white sugar
- 4 tbsp. icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, one at a time, until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Add flour and baking powder and beat until all the flour and baking powder are combined and batter is smooth.
- Wash, peel, core and slice apples.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- Arrange apple slices on top of cake batter, pushing apples down so they are partially immersed in batter.
- Sprinkle apples with second amount of white sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 – 70 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Slice and serve.