Today I finally decided to try my hand at making some Whole wheat bread for us. I have been meaning to try it for ages but always, always forget to pick up some whole wheat flour. I remembered Friday, at long last and this is how it went!
Doesn’t it look delicious? It slices wonderfully and would be great for sandwiches for school lunches! What’s better than homemade bread and knowing what is actually in the bread we are eating?
Here are my ingredients… and yes, I forgot to include all of them! I forgot to put the honey in the picture. Oops!
This recipe took both whole wheat and all purpose flour.
I put the water, honey and yeast in the bowl of my stand mixer, whisked it together and let it sit for 5 minutes until it was bubbly.
I added the remaining ingredients, all at once.
Mixed it until it was all attached to the blade of the stand mixer and the sides of the bowl were almost clean.
And then I let the stand mixer knead it for 5 minutes. If you are kneading by hand, I would knead it for probably 8 minutes.
This is what it should look like after kneading. A nice pretty much smooth ball.
Grease a large bowl. I usually just reuse the bowl I mixed it in. Place the dough in the greased bowl and flip it so the dough ball is greased on both sides so it doesn’t stick to the plastic wrap.
Cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm, draft less place for one hour.
After the hour, it should have doubled in size.
Remove from bowl and press into a rectangle. Mine was about 8 x 10 inches.
Starting from one of the long sides, roll the dough up like you would cinnamon rolls and tuck under the ends.
Place it in your prepared loaf pan and re-cover it with plastic wrap.
Let it sit again for about 45 minutes until it is 1 – 1 1/2 inches above the top of the loaf pan. During the last 15 minutes or so, start to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Remove plastic wrap and bake in your preheated oven for 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped.
Whole Wheat Bread
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Rising Time: 1 hr. 45 min. Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 1 loaf
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Generously grease loaf pan.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, whisk together water, honey and yeast.
- Let stand 5 – 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl,
- Mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticking to sides.
- Knead, by stand mixer or hand, for 5 minutes. (if kneading by hand, knead for 8 minutes)
- Grease large bowl, add dough ball, turning once to grease both sides of dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm, draft free spot for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Removed from bowl and press dough ball into rectangle, about 8 x 10 inches.
- Roll dough, cinnamon roll style, and tuck under ends.
- Add to prepared loaf pan.
- Re-cover with plastic wrap and let stand again for 45 minutes in warm draft free spot, until it has risen about 1 – 1 1/2 inches over top of loaf pan.
- During last 15 minutes preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After 45 minutes, remove plastic wrap and bake for 30 minutes, until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan and let cool on racks.
- Slice and serve.