I realized today that I haven’t done any posts using my cast iron skillets. While I was trying to decide what kind of bread to make for dinner I came across a recipe I have for bread in the skillet. I thought why not combine making bread with a cast iron skillet post!
These are my ingredients.
I start by mixing together the water and yeast in the bowl of my stand mixer.
I then add one cup of the flour and the salt and mix until it’s combined.
Next I start adding the remaining flour, one cup at a time until it is all combined and the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl.
I cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise for one hour.
After one hour, with floured hands because it will be sticky, I shape the dough into a ball and place it in the cast iron skillet that I had lightly greased with olive oil.
I let it rise in the skillet for another 30 minutes and then brush with more olive oil, sprinkle with chopped fresh dill and cut a cross in the top of the loaf.
Now I bake it at 400 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes until done. A beautiful, delicious loaf of bread, made in a cast iron skillet.
Easy Skillet Bread
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Rising Time: 90 minutes Baking Time: 30 – 40 minutes Makes 1 loaf.
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- olive oil
- chopped fresh dill
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine water and yeast.
- Add one cup of flour and salt and mix to combine.
- Add remaining flour, one cup at a time until dough is mixed and starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Lightly grease cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- With floured hands, shape dough into ball and place in prepared skillet.
- Allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Cut a cross in top of loaf, brush on more olive oil and sprinkle with chopped fresh dill.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes until browned and fully baked.