Nanaimo bars are one of Chris’ favourite “treats,” lol, so I try to make them for him once in awhile. Today it just worked out that he had a busy and not as successful as he would have liked, day in the garage so these were the perfect treat for that kind of day!
Hopefully he remembers to eat them in moderation so that he doesn’t give himself a stomach ache like he frequently when he overindulges with treats!!!
As usual, I forgot to “score” the chocolate on top to make cutting them nicely easier. I swear I in all the years I have been making them…. I have only actually remembered to score them once!
These are the ingredients. Hopefully I actually “remembered” to put all of them in the pictures lol!
You begin by making the base. I mix together the sugar, cocoa and melted butter/margarine. It is important to make sure the butter/margarine is melted.
Whisk it until it is smooth.
Add the beaten egg and mix until it is well blended.
Next add the graham crumbs and coconut.
Mix until crumbly.
Press into a parchment paper lined square baking pan. I always use parchment paper, it makes it easy to remove from pan and cut.
Place in fridge and let chill while the filling is being made.
For the filling, in the bowl of stand mixer beat margarine/butter, icing sugar and vanilla pudding powder.
Beat until smooth.
Add milk, one tablespoon at a time. Beat until creamy.
Add peppermint extract and about 12 drops of green food colouring.
Beat until colour is uniform then spread over top of base layer.
Chill at least a half hour.
To make topping, in microwaveable safe bowl, melt 2 tbsp. butter or margarine and one bag of chocolate chips until smooth, about 90 seconds. Stir until smooth then pour over top of filling.
Unlike me lol, after about 15 minutes, score the top to make cutting easier.
Chill at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Mint Nanaimo Bars
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Chilling Time: 2 1/2 – 3 hours Servings: 36 squares
1/2 cup butter/margarine
1/4 cup white sugar
4 tbsp cocoa
1 egg, beaten
2 cups graham crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter/margarine, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla pudding powder
2 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
10 drops of green food coloring
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- For Base: Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Add white sugar and cocoa, whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the beaten egg.
- Add the graham crumbs, coconut and vanilla, stir until well combined.
- Press into the prepared pan.
- Place in the fridge while preparing filling.
- For Filling: In bowl of stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and pudding powder until smooth.
- Add milk 1 tbsp. at a time.
- Next, add the peppermint extract and food coloring and beat until colour is uniform.
- Spread evenly onto base and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For Topping: In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate and butter/margarine, stirring until smooth.
- Pour on top the filling.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge and chill at least 2 hours.
- Cut the bars in into small squares.