I did start off with the intention to make simply sausage and onions, that is until I opened the fridge and saw a few things I decided needed to be used up and added them to the sausage and onions. This is where the “Plus” entered the title!
These are all the ingredients I decided to use.
I began by cutting the bacon into one inch pieces.
I fried the bacon until it was crisp and placed it on paper towels to drain.
I added the onions and mushrooms to the same pan and cooked it until they were both starting to brown.
Next I added the sausages, again into the same pan, and browned each side.
While they were browning, I washed, peeled and thickly sliced the potatoes.
I started by placing a layer of potatoes (half of what I prepared) in my roast pan.
Topped this with half the mushrooms and onions, and then half the bacon.
And then repeated the layers, sprinkling salt and pepper to taste and then all but 1 tbsp. Dried parsley.
I removed the sausages from the pan and cut them in half and placed them on the layers of potatoes and everything else.
I poured the beef stock over everything, sprinkled the remaining parsley and cooked it covered at 325 degrees for about 3 hours, removing the lid for the last half hour.
Sausage and Onions (Plus)
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 3 hours Servings: 4
- 1 package sausage, your choice, I used hot ones
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced into big rings
- 10 – 12 mushrooms sliced
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp. Dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease small roast pan.
- Chop bacon into one inch pieces and fry until crisis. Drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the same pan and cook until they start to brown.
- Remove from pan and add sausages.
- Brown both sides of the sausages, remove from pan and cut them in half.
- Wash, peel and thickly slice potatoes.
- Start layers by adding a layer of half the potatoes, followed by half the onions and mushrooms and then half the bacon.
- Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. Dried parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with halved sausages and remaining parsley.
- Cook at 325 degrees for about 3 hours, removing the lid for the last half hour.