Another Dr’s appointment tomorrow/today, thankfully I officially started my Christmas baking on Wednesday. I will be posting as I make things. I think Kim and I are going to have a “Baking Day” in a couple of weeks to finish off any baking we are planning on doing. On top of the Preserves baskets, I like to hand out cookie trays to a few people, homemade of course!
Today I made some Salted Caramel Chocolate Fudge for the cookie trays. It is another Condensed Milk Fudge, meaning it is quick and easy to make and can be totally made in the microwave… my favourite kind!
These are the ingredients.
You begin by mixing the chocolate chips and condensed milk together in a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave it on high heat in 30 second increments until the chocolate chips are melted and it is smooth, mine took about 2 minutes. Quickly add the vanilla and pour into prepared pan…. it sets up quickly.
In another microwave safe bowl, add the unwrapped caramels and the whipping cream.
Again, microwave on high in 30 second increments until the caramels are melted and smooth, stirring between each interval. Mine took about 90 seconds.
Immediately pour over chocolate fudge base and sprinkle with sea salt. Like the chocolate, it will set up quickly.
Refrigerate 3 – 4 hours until fully set and then cut into squares. Because mine are going on a cookie tray with a bunch of other things, I made mine small, less than one inch squares.
(This is Chris’ sample plate lol. Chris is the self-proclaimed taste tester of everything baking, but especially Christmas goodies baking and requires a sample plate of each!)
Once cut into squares, I place them all in a large freezer bag to store until I am ready to make up the cookie trays… about 3 weeks.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Fudge
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 3 – 4 minutes Chilling Time: 3 – 4 hours Servings: 54 squares
- 3 cups chocolate chips, I used semi-sweet
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 40 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp. whipping cream
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Line 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and condensed milk.
- Microwave on high, in 30 second intervals until chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan quickly, this will set quickly.
- In another microwave safe bowl, add unwrapped caramels and whipping cream.
- Microwave on high, in 30 second intervals, until caramels are melted and smooth.
- Pour over chocolate fudge base and immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- Refrigerate about 3 – 4 hours until fully set.
- Cut into small squares.
- Can be frozen, well packaged for up to one month.