When I was walking up and down the aisles at the local bulk store, I came across some multigrain flour. I love anything multigrain, breads, bagels, buns, etc., so when I found this I made sure to add a few cups of it to my shopping cart to try it out this week!
I was so tired from making my Christmas Cookie grams yesterday morning that I forgot to take an ingredients picture so I am starting from actually making it this time!
I put the warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl, whisked it to just combine and set it aside for about 10 minutes to “bloom.”
Next I added the multigrain flour, white flour, brown sugar and salt to the bowl of my stand mixer and using the dough hook, just ran the mixer for a minute to blend the ingredients.
In another small bowl, I put the milk and margarine in together and microwaved it for about 90 seconds, until the margarine was melted but the milk wasn’t too warm.
I made a well in the centre of the flour mixture and added the yeast and ran the mixer just enough to mix it in a bit.
I repeated the same process with the warmed milk mixture and then ran the dough for about 5 minutes, adding an additional 2 tbsp. of white flour to make a smooth, elastic dough.
I put the dough in a greased bowl and covered it for about an hour until it doubled in size.
Next I punched down the dough, shaped it into a loaf and put it into my prepared loaf pan. I let this rise for about another 30 minutes until it was to the top of the loaf pan.
I baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turned the oven off and left the loaf in the oven for another 15 minutes. I removed it from the oven to cool, shook it out of the pan and sliced it for dinner!
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 12 slices
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 cups multigrain flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tsp. butter/margarine
- In a small bowl, whisk together warm water, sugar and yeast. Set aside until yeast blooms.
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix together the multigrain flour, white flour, brown sugar and salt until just blended.
- In small microwave safe bowl, add milk and margarine and cook on high heat for 90 seconds until margarine is melted and milk is warm.
- Add yeast to bowl of stand mixer with flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add milk mixture, mix until well combined.
- Knead 5 – 7 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional 2 tbsp. of flour if necessary.
- Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise approximately 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease loaf pan.
- Punch down, shape into loaf and place in prepared loaf pan.
- Let rise another 30 minutes until dough has risen to top of loaf pan sides.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven off and let loaf sit in oven an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.