This is the same shortbread recipe my family has been making since I was a kid at least. I honestly don’t know where the recipe came from or from who but it’s the only recipe I have ever used to make shortbread… this year however, I decided they needed some sprinkles!
Here are the ingredients. For shortbread, you always, always, always use butter…. no substituting with margarine for these!
You begin by creaming together the butter (slightly softened) and the icing sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer until well combined and fluffy.
Add the flour, one cup at a time with the dash of salt. With the last cup of flour, add the sprinkles and mix until everything is combined.
Dump the batter out onto a floured surface and knead a few times until the batter/dough is smooth.
Now I divide my dough in half and roll out each half into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.
I use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into small squares, about 1 inch square, and transfer them to my parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
These bake at 325 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes, until the bottom is just starting to brown.
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then remove to plate and enjoy! There is nothing like a plate of homemade shortbread with a nice cup of coffee (or Whiskey if you are Kim, and not pregnant lol!)
Sprinkles Shortbread Cookies
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 10 – 12 minutes Servings: Approx. 6 dozen
- 1 lb. butter, slightly softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- dash of salt
- 1 cup Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, with salt.
- Add sprinkles with last cup of flour.
- Mix until well combined.
- Dump out onto floured surface. Knead a few times until smooth.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out each half of dough into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using pizza cutter, cut into 1 inch squares and transfer to cookie sheets.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes, until bottoms are slightly browned.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes on pan and then transfer to plate.