This recipe was a sort of last minute decision. When I thawed the ground beef to make the Beef Burrito Skillet, I thawed 3 lbs. of it because I forgot to separate it before I froze it when I picked up groceries last time. I had some leftover salsa from the same recipe and this is where the idea stemmed from!
Dillon wasn’t up for dinner but Chris sure liked it!
Because this was a last minute idea for a different meat loaf, I didn’t even think to take an “ingredients” picture, so we start with the making it pictures.
I added all the ingredients, except for taco sauce and 3/4 cup of grated cheese.
(I added the first amount of cheese in another picture so it didn’t hide the other ingredients)
I mixed it all together, first with the fork, and then by hand until everything was well mixed together and then shaped it into a loaf.
I baked this at 375 degrees for about 1 hour.
I removed it from the oven and then brushed the taco sauce on top and then sprinkled it with the second amount of cheese.
I put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes until the cheese was melted and starting to brown.
I let it sit for 5 minutes and then sliced it and served.
It is nice making a large meatloaf like this at this time of year because it gives me half of it to freeze for a quick meal another night when I am busy!
Mexican Meat Loaf
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 8
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. dehydrated onions
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pan with aluminum foil and parchment paper.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a large bowl until well combined, first with a fork and then by hand.
- Shape into a loaf and place in prepared baking pan.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 1 hour until fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and brush on taco sauce.
- Sprinkle with second amount of grated cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then slice.