Here is the recipe for the dinner rolls I made to freeze for our Christmas dinner. They are a basic recipe but they are so delicious. You will see in the pictures that I made a couple of smaller rolls in the centre of the pan so that I would have a few to munch on once they were baked!
Here are my ingredients.
To begin I poured the melted butter in a large measuring cup with the warm water. Then I added the milk and honey and whisked it all together.
I microwaved this for 90 seconds until it was warm.
I poured the warmed water/milk mixture into the bowl of my stand mixer, sprinkled the yeast on top and then gave it a quick mix.
I let this sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast was foamy.
I added the flour and salt and using my bread attachment, started mixing it together.
I let it knead for 5 minutes, shaped it into a ball and placed it in a greased bowl for 15 minutes to rise until doubled in size.
Once it had doubled I punched the dough down and then cut it into 16 fairly even sized pieces.
Then I shaped them into rolls and placed them in my prepared pan.
I set them in a warm place for another 20 minutes to rise.
I baked them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, until they were golden brown.
And then brushed the tops of them with the second amount of melted butter/margarine.
Don’t they look delicious. You can see my little “sample” size ones in the middle!
Christmas Dinner Rolls
Preparation Time: 1 hour Baking Time: 15 minutes Servings: 16 rolls
- 1 cups water
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan, set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk warm water and melted butter until combined.
- Add the milk and honey.
- Microwave for 90 seconds, until the mixture is very warm to the touch.
- Pour the water mixture into bowl of stand mixer.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top, and whisk to combine.
- Let sit for five minutes, until the yeast is foamy.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Using the dough-hook, mix until combined.
- Knead on low speed for 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball with your hands and place it in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 16 equal sized pieces.
- Form each piece into a roll and place in the prepared pan.
- Cover let rise for an additional 120 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush tops of rolls with second amount of melted butter.
- Serve warm or allow to fully cool and place in freezer bags to store.