When I was making my first batch of Homemade Pasta, I thought it would be nice to make a loaf of fresh bread to go with it. I could have just made a French Bread or even a White Bread but I wanted to try something different.
We ate the whole loaf!!!!
Here are the ingredients I used.
I added everything to the bowl of my stand mixer except for the water and gave it a quick whisk to combine it.
I added the hot water and using my bread hook, started mixing the dough. I let it knead for about 5 minutes once it was fully combined and the dough had come away from the sides of the bowl.
Then I placed the ball of dough in a greased bowl, turning it once to grease the top, and let it stand in a warm place for 45 minutes, until it had doubled in size.
I punched it down and divided it into 3 somewhat equal portions.
Rolled each one into a rope…
And braided the dough, tucking the ends under, and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
I baked it at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, removed it from the oven, turned the oven off and sprinkled a bit of mozzarella on top and put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
And here was our nice Garlic & Italian Herbs bread to have with dinner!
Garlic & Italian Herbs Bread
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Rising Time: 1 hr. 15 min. Baking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. quick rise yeast
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk to combine all ingredients, except for the water.
- Add water and using dough hook, start mixing dough.
- Mix until dough is smooth and elastic and comes away from sides of bowl.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Remove ball of dough to greased bowl, turning once to grease top as well.
- Let sit in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, break into 3 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log, about 12 inches long.
- Braid rope and tuck ends under.
- Let sit in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn oven off and sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and starting to brown.