Today is my weekly, out of town doctor’s appointment so I saved this recipe to post for today!
The other day I had a hankering for some soup, but not any of the soups I would normally make. This time I decided to try a cream of vegetable soup with the addition of some cheese. It is delicious and loaded with good for me vegetables!
This is what I started with.
I started by washing, peeling and slicing and dicing the vegetables and placed the carrots, celery, minced garlic and onion in a big soup pot with 2 tbsp. of margarine.
I sautéed them for about 5 minutes until the vegetables started to soften.
I added the broth, dill and potatoes and brought it to a boil until the potatoes were tender.
While the potatoes were cooking I melted margarine in the microwave and added flour and mixed it into a paste.
Next I added the milk to the margarine/flour mixture, one cup a time, whisking to combine and then microwaved it on high for about 5 minutes until it had thickened.
When the potatoes were almost cooked, I added the broccoli and continued boiling for another 5 – 10 minutes.
I removed it from the heat and added the margarine/flour/milk mixture (aka white sauce) to the soup and whisked until it was well combined, added the grated cheese and stirred until it was melted…. and I had my delicious soup, ready to eat!
Cheesy Cream of Vegetable Soup
Preparation Time: 40 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 8 – 10
- 3 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 small onion
- 3 or 4 medium potatoes
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dill weed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. margarine
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Wash, peel, dice and slice vegetables.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, minced garlic and first amount of margarine to large soup pot.
- Saute 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add broth, potatoes and dill weed and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil until potatoes are tender, adding broccoli during final 5 minutes.
- In a large microwave safe bowl melt margarine.
- Add flour and whisk into a paste.
- Add milk, one cup at a time, whisking between each cup until smooth.
- Microwave on high about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove soup from heat and whisk in milk mixture.
- Add grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Return to medium low heat until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy.