I saw something like this on Facebook a while back and when I took ground beef out to thaw for dinner this is exactly what I had in mind. It seemed like a perfect meal for a cold, dreary day for “the boys!”
These are the ingredients, except for the cheese slices because I decided to add them at the last minute.
I started by chopping and cooking the bacon, removing 2 tbsp. of the bacon grease for later and leaving the rest in the pan for the next step.
Once I had removed the grease and bacon from the pan, I added the peeled and sliced onions and cooked them for about 15 minutes until they were browned and softened.
I cut the buns into 1 inch cubes and then mixed them with the reserved bacon grease and set aside.
While the onions were cooking I put the ground beef in a microwave safe bowl and cooked it until it was browned and fully cooked, then drained it.
I mixed in the ketchup and mustard, stirred it to combine and poured it into my prepared pan.
I put the cooked onions on top of the ground beef mixture.
And then the cooked and crumbled bacon.
I sprinkled some grated mozzarella on top of the onions and bacon.
And then this is where I decided to add the slices of cheese.
I topped the cheese with the cubed buns….
And the second amount of cheese.
Then I baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then switched to broil for what was supposed to be 5 minutes….
Full disclosure here…. I got distracted during the supposed 5 minutes of broil time and didn’t remember until the smoke detector went off letting me know that some of the bread cubes had started to burn 😦
So… I scraped off the worst of the burned part and added more grated mozzarella to try to hide and remaining burned bread lol! I put it back in the oven…. not on broil lol… just long enough to remelt the cheese!
Chris told me the burned part just gave it a bit more flavour!
I cut it into squares and served it to the boys!
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
Preparation Time: 40 minutes Baking Time: 35 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 5 or 6 slices bacon
- 3 small onions, peel and sliced into rings
- 2 Kaiser rolls or 4 hamburger rolls
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 2 cups grated cheese, divided, I used cheddar and mozzarella
- 4 slices of cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease baking pan. I used a 9 x 9 pan.
- Fry bacon until crispy and remove 2 tbsp. grease and set aside.
- Remove bacon to paper towel to drain, add onions to frying pan.
- Cook onions until brown and softened.
- Cut rolls into 1 inch cubes, mix in reserved bacon grease and mix to evenly coat.
- In microwave safe bowl, brown ground beef until fully cooked. Drain.
- Add ketchup and mustard to ground beef and stir thoroughly.
- Add ground beef mixture to prepared pan evenly.
- Top with cooked onions and then cooked, crumbled bacon.
- Top bacon with 1 cup of grated cheese and 4 cheese slices.
- Spread bread cubes evenly over top of cheeses.
- Sprinkle remaining grated cheese on top of bread cubes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Switch to broil for 5 minutes to crisp up the top.
- Cut into squares and serve.