Last night I decided to make a Chicken Casserole. I can’t remember the last time I made one. I made this one a little different than I usually do… in part because I was missing half the ingredients and two, just to try something different.
Usually I make this casserole with cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup and add dry chow mein noodles. I didn’t have any of those lol so I had to improvise!
These are my ingredients. I had some leftover chicken frozen from another night so I didn’t even have to do that step!
Since I didn’t have either of the soups I wanted to use I decided to try to make my own cream of chicken soup and then add a can of cream of celery that I had.
To make the Cream of Chicken Soup:
To make the cream of chicken soup, I put 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth and 3/4 cup of milk in a large microwave safe bowl and cooked it on high in the microwave until it was almost boiling.
While it was cooking I mixed together the flour, garlic powder and onion powder in a large measuring cup. You can also add salt and pepper at this step if you like.
I added the remaining amount of milk to the flour mixture and whisked it until it was smooth.
I whisked this flour/milk mixture into the bowl with the broth and milk and whisked until combined, then I microwaved it again on high heat, in 2 minute increments, until is was thickened and smooth. About 10 minutes… and then I had my own homemade cream of chicken soup to add to the casserole.
It makes about 3 cups of soup so I used what I needed and put the rest in a mason jar for the next recipe I need it for.
And now back to the Casserole Recipe:
In a large mixing bowl, I combined the cut up chicken, the can of mixed vegetables, the cream of celery soup and the cream of chicken soup and mixed it until it was well combined.
I poured it into my greased baking pan….
And since I didn’t have any chow mein noodles, I sprinkled a box of dry stuffing mix all over the top.
Right before cooking, pour the other amount of chicken broth over top of the dry stuffing, and then bake, covered with foil, at 375 for 30 minutes before removing the foil and bake it for another 10 minutes.
I also decided at the last minute to sprinkle a bit of grated cheese on top for the final 10 minutes…. just because!
Creamy Chicken Casserole
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 2 cups, cooked and cut up chicken
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can mixed vegetables
- 1 box dry stuffing mix
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cup of homemade or 1 can of cream of chicken soup
For the cream of chicken soup, if you are making your own:
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2/3 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9 x 13/8 x 10 baking pan.
- If you are making your own cream of chicken soup, follow directions above and then proceed to next step.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cut up chicken, mixed vegetables, cream of celery soup and cream of chicken soup ( I used about 2 cups of the homemade soup).
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Top with dry stuffing mix.
- Pour broth over dry stuffing mix, trying to cover all of it.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with grated cheese (optional) and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.