It just worked out that the past weekend was a tater tots themed weekend. Completely accidental, but it happened anyway.
Chris and Dillon certainly didn’t complain about it, they both thoroughly enjoyed the casseroles!
While I didn’t have any of it, I most assuredly didn’t mind the fact that I could make it the night before and just have to pop it in the oven in the morning!
This is what I used to make it.
As with the other tater tots recipe I made this weekend, I also precooked the tater tots for this one too. Only for about 15 minutes or so, just enough that they were starting to crisp and wouldn’t get mushy in the casserole.
I browned the sausage meat in the microwave on high heat until it was no longer pink and then drained it.
I mixed the tater tots, cheese, onion powder and garlic powder in with the cooked sausage meat, until everything was evenly combined.
I dumped the mixture into my prepared pan and spread it evenly.
Next I whisked together the eggs and milk and then poured it over the tater tots/sausage mixture.
This is where I put it in the fridge until the next morning.
In the morning, I baked it in a 350 degree preheated oven for an hour, until the top was nicely browned and the eggs were fully cooked.
Then I just cut it into squares and gave it to “the boys” for Sunday morning breakfast. And they devoured it!
Sausage and Tater Tots Breakfast Casserole
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 4 cups frozen tater tots, precooked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Brown ground sausage meat in microwave on high heat until it’s no longer pink and then drain.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, cheeses and tater tots to browned sausage meat and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- In a large measuring cup, whisktogether the eggs and milk.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and tater tots in baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until the top is browned and the eggs are fully cooked.
- Cut into squares and serve.