Let me start by saying that while I say “In the Crock Pot,” the shepherd’s pie is made the same as you would make it if cooking it in the oven but I throw everything in the crock pot and let it cook slowly so it comes out tasty and piping hot.
I made mine on Wednesday so that when I got back from my weekly Dr’s appointment, all I had to do was put the bowl back in the crock pot and turn it on and all my dinner prep work was done and I could nap lol!
My shepherd’s pie never comes out “pretty” when I serve it because Chris loves extra “gravy” in the meat layer and lots of creamed corn and mixed veggies in his!
These are my ingredients. I used a “batch” of my Garlic Smashed Potatoes for this, just because of the added flavour, but you can use your own favourite mashed potato recipe, or even leftover potatoes from a previous night!
Prepare your mashed potatoes using your favourite recipe.
Then I start browning the ground beef in the microwave until it is fully cooked and then drain it.
I add the garlic, chopped green onions, beef broth and corn starch to the cooked ground beef.
I return the bowl to the microwave on high heat, cooking it until the “gravy” has thickened, about 5 minutes… stirring every 90 seconds or so.
Note: You can also just use packaged gravy mix if you prefer.
In a medium bowl, I mixed together the creamed corn and the drained can of mixed veggies.
I poured the meat mixture into the bottom of my crock pot bowl.
Next comes the layer of creamed corn and mixed veggies…..
Then I add the layer of mashed potatoes and sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
And then I cook it on low for 4 – 6 hours. (You can see the extra “gravy” working it’s way to the top lol…. but shepherd’s pie is supposed to be a messy comfort food!}
And then scoop it out and serve it.
Shepherd’s Pie (In the Crock Pot)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 4 – 6 hours Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 1/2 extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 -5 cups prepared mashed potatoes, I used Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 small cans creamed corn
- 1 small can mixed vegetables
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Prepare mashed potatoes.
- In large microwave safe bowl, brown ground beef on high heat until fully cooked and then drain.
- Mix corn starch with water until smooth.
- Add broth, corn starch, green onion and minced garlic to browned beef.
- Mix to combine and then return to microwave.
- Cook on high heat until gravy has thickened.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the creamed corn and mixed vegetables.
- In bowl of crock pot, pour ground beef mixture evenly in bottom.
- Spread creamed corn mixture evenly over beef mixture.
- Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
- Cook on low heat for 4 – 6 hours until heated through.