Let me start by saying that we have hard water. As you can well imagine… this makes cleaning difficult. I used to see a lot of vinegar cleaning hacks on Pinterest and decided I was going to try some to see if it actually worked. Boy, was I surprised! What a difference a little vinegar can make cleaning!
These are a few of my favourites… that I have tried and had success with!
- In the dishwasher. It didn’t seem to matter what type of dishwasher detergent or rinse agent I used, I was still getting hard water stains on my dishes when I ran the dishwasher. I started to add a half a cup of vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher with every cycle instead of the rinse agent and my dishes come out clean and shiny every time… no more hard water stains and I figure that while it’s helping my dishes it is also helping to stop hard water building up in the hoses!
- As a drain cleaner with baking soda. I have found that adding about a half a cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by about a cup of vinegar and then letting it sit for about 15 minutes unclogs the drain every time. And it’s natural!
- The coffee pot. At least every few weeks I run a pot through my coffee maker with about 1 cup of vinegar. Again, it removes any sort of hard water stain buildup.
- The shower head. Put vinegar in a baggie and attach it to the shower head with an elastic or string. Let it sit, with the shower head in the bag of vinegar for about an hour.
- To clean the inside of the microwave. I mix together about a cup of vinegar with a cup of water in a microwave safe bowl and run it on high heat for 4 minutes. Anything that may be stuck to the walls of the microwave should just wipe off!
- Weed Killer. We decided last summer to try it on our weeds. We can’t really use any chemicals because of the dogs being outside all the time. I put about 2 liters of vinegar into a weed sprayer with 1 liter of boiling water and we sprayed it where we wanted weeds/vegetation gone. You could almost see them wilting right in front of you. It works even better if you do it while the sun is shining bright and on the vegetation you want gone!
- Vinegar and borax. I used this for built up hard water stains. I mixed a paste with the two and let it sit on the hard water stains for 15 minutes. Some of the hard water stains that had been in the bath tub for years came right off!
- In the toilet tank. I pour vinegar in the toilet tank and let it sit overnight to loosen and remove hard water in the tank.
- You can disinfect your wooden cutting boards by wiping them down with vinegar after use.
- And last but certainly not least…. for SKUNK smell. Our dogs have a habit of trying to make friends with skunks at least once every year 😦 I mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and after bathing them (using vinegar in that water too), I spray them with the mixture whenever I start to smell the skunk odour coming back through their pores!