We are having our family birthday celebration on Monday/Family Day and I wanted to try out a different bread recipe ahead of time to have with dinner that day. Kim has requested spagetti and salad, and then cherry cheesecake for dessert.
The bread was nice and soft inside and had lots of flavour. Definitely something I will be making again and again!
These are my ingredients.
In the bowl of my stand mixer, I added the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, minced garlic (not in picture), thyme, parsley and Italian seasoning.
I added the warm water….
And using my dough hook, mixed it until the dough came away from the sides of the bowl to form a ball.
I let it knead in the stand mixer for 5 minutes, until the all of dough was smooth.
I put the dough ball into a greased bowl, turning it once to coat top as well, and let it stand in a warm spot for one hour…
Until it doubled in size.
I shaped it into a loaf and cut slits across the top of the loaf.
I let it rise again for about 20 minutes and then baked it at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
I melted 2 tbsp. of margarine and mixed in the second amounts of minced garlic, Italian seasoning and parsley and then brushed the loaf with this mixture before returning it to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
And here is the finished loaf. And yes, I will definitely be making this for our family birthday celebration… it was so good I might have to make 2 loaves!!!
Herb & Garlic Bread
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Rising Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Baking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 1 loaf
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine flour, minced garlic, parsley, thyme, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add warm water and mix with dough hook until dough forms a ball and comes away from sides of bowl.
- Knead in stand mixer (or by hand) for 5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Place dough ball in greased bowl, turning once to coat top as well.
- Cover and let stand in warm spot for one hour, until doubled in size.
- Shape into loaf and cut slits across the top of the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Allow to rise in a warm spot for an additional 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- In small bowl, melt butter/margarine, then add second amounts of minced garlic, Italian seasoning and parsley. Mix to combine.
- Brush butter/garlic mixture over whole loaf.
- Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.