The other night for dinner I made something called Mongolian Beef for dinner. I have been wanting to try a version of it for quite some time for Chris and Dillon and I finally did it! And it was a hit! Well, Dillon slept through dinner but Chris cleared his plate lol!
These are the ingredients.
I used a combination of round steak and sirloin marinating steaks for this recipe and I did most of the prep work in the morning so that I only had to actually cook it come dinner time.
I started by slicing the beef into strips. I cut it while it was still a bit frozen because meat tends to cut much easier this way.
I added corn starch and ground ginger to the beef slices in a lidded bowl and then shook the bowl (with the lid on lol) until the strips were fully coated and then put it in the fridge until I needed it.
I mixed the soya sauce, brown sugar and second amount of corn starch in a small bowl and whisked it to combined. This too I put in the fridge until I needed it later.
Then I chopped the jalapeno and green onions and set them aside until needed.
When it came time to actually cook dinner I began by adding oil to my frying pan and started off by cooking the chopped jalapeno for a few minutes to soften.
Next I added the beef strips and the minced garlic…
And cooked this over high heat for about 6 – 7 minutes until browned and it was starting to get crispy.
I added the premixed sauce and then let that cook for about 2 minutes or so until it thickened.
Once thickened I added the green onions and gave it a quick stir before serving.
And I served it over some plain white rice and that was dinner.
Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 – 12 minutes Servings: 2 – 4
- 1 lb. round steak
- 1 lb. sirloin marinating steak
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 cup soya sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Slice beef (while still slightly frozen) into 1/4 by 3/4 inch slices.
- Place in lidded bowl with first amount of corn starch and ginger, and shake to coat beef strips. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together soya sauce, brown sugar and corn starch until combined.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to heated frying pan and then sauté jalapeno for about 2 minutes.
- Add second tbsp. of olive oil and then beef strips and minced garlic.
- Cook beef strips over high heat until browned and starting to get crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Pour in premixed sauce and let simmer over low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, until thickened.
- Add green onion, stir to combine and serve.
- Serve over white rice or noodles.