The other day Chris asked me to make some Jerk Chicken. He had it a while back at a family birthday party, I think a friend of his brother’s made it. I decided to make it a few days after as a surprise for him for dinner! This was my first time making it so I was hopeful it was good lol! I served it with some nice boiled potatoes, cooked in chicken broth and minced garlic and then Parmesan Zucchini!
Update: Chris said the jerk chicken was even better than the one he had before!!!
These are all the ingredients I used, although I did forget to put salt, pepper and sugar in the picture…. imagine that!
I started by cutting shallow slits in the chicken I was using, to help it absorb more of the flavour and placing it in a large freezer bag.
I added all of the ingredients, except for the chicken, to my large measuring cup.
And using my whisk, combined them all. Now, some people will put this mixture through the food processor to make a sort of paste first but I decided it would look nice with the onions and peppers just diced.
I poured this mixture into the freezer bag with the chicken.
And then shook the bag to coat the chicken. I let this marinate in the fridge for about 6 or 7 hours, turning the bag over about 4 times during the day so it was evenly marinated.
I placed it into a lightly greased aluminum pan. (I used aluminum because I figured it was going to be really messy to clean up lol!)
And then roasted (convection roast) it at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. It can also be grilled at this point but it just wasn’t quite warm enough out there today for me to bbq!
This is how it looked coming straight out of the oven!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Roasting Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
- 4 chicken legs, with backs attached, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 3 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp.cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Cut shallow slits in top of chicken pieces.
- In large measuring cup, whisk together all ingredients except for chicken.
- Place chicken pieces and contents of measuring cup into a large freezer bag.
- Shake to fully coat chicken pieces.
- Let marinate in fridge 6 – 7 hours, turning every 90 minutes to evenly marinate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease 9 x 13 baking pan. (I used aluminum)
- Place chicken pieces in prepared baking pan in single layer.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 45 minutes, switching oven to broil during last 5 minutes if needed to crisp chicken skin.
- Serve and enjoy.