I made these for dinner the other night and they were a hit. I started thinking about them a while back when one of our blogging friends/followers/followed, https://yarnblabber.wordpress.com/, was talking about how much he enjoyed them. That just made me want to try my own version of them!
Here are the ingredients I used. I decided to use a marble rye bread for this recipe.
I prepared everything in the morning so I would only have to cook the patties and the assembled melt at dinner time!
I started by mixing the ground beef, garlic powder and cayenne in a large bowl, shaped it into two fairly flat patties and put it in the fridge until it was time to cook them.
I sliced my onions into rings and fried them in a bit of olive oil until they were soft and browned. I transferred them to a small bowl and put them in the fridge until it was assembly time too.
When it was time to assemble I started by frying the patties.
After I finished them I moved them to a plate and wiped down the frying pan. I added the slices of rye bread in the frying pan, buttered side down and topped it with a layer of the sliced cheese and half the onions on each one.
I placed a cooked patty on each one…
I added more cheese on top of the patties and then finished with the other two pieces of marble rye on top.
I fried them, much like making grilled cheese, until they were browned on each side.
Then cut them in half and served them with the Cracker Topped Hash Brown Potatoes and veggies!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- Medium cheese, sliced to accommodate bread
- Butter/margarine to butter bread slices
- In a large bowl mix together ground beef, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Shape ground beef into two flattened patties and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice onions into thin rings.
- Brown/soften onions in frying pan on medium high heat until cooked. Remove to bowl.
- Fry patties until browned and cooked through.
- Wipe out frying pan and assemble melts – butter side down bread in frying pan, topped with first layer of cheese, onions, cooked patties, second layer of cheese and second slice of bread, buttered on top.
- Fry assembled melt over medium high heat, much like grilled cheese, until both sides are browned and cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and serve.