I hate to admit it, but I have had the egg roll wrappers in the freezer for a few weeks because I really wasn’t sure how well they would work. I envisioned trying to roll them only to have them unroll during cooking. Was I ever pleasantly surprised and now I have all sorts of different ideas about what I could put in egg roll wrappers, even if I only go so far as to make my own egg rolls next time I make Chinese food!
Here is what I used to make them.
I started by browning the ground beef and onions in the microwave on high heat until browned and the juices ran clear and then drained it.
I added the cheese, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and mustard to the browned ground beef.
Mixed it all in and then placed the bowl in the fridge for about 5 minutes to let it cool.
When it was time to roll them, I started by brushing water on the outside edge of the egg rolls and then spooning about 2 tbsp. of the ground beef mixture into the centre of the egg roll wrapper before folding in 3 of the corners towards the centre.
I rolled the whole thing towards the unfolded corner, placing the roll corner side down on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and continued to do the same with the rest.
In a small bowl, I mixed together the olive oil, second amount of garlic powder and parmesan to form a paste.
And brushed this mixture over the tops of each roll.
I baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until they were browned and the wrapper part was crispy.
And then served them with a side of oven fries and dill pickle slices!
Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 16 rolls
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. spicy mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Brown ground beef and onions until brown and juices run clear. Drain.
- Add cheese, mustard, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce to ground beef.
- Mix to combine and set bowl in fridge for 5 minutes.
- Brush outside edges of egg roll wrappers with water.
- Place 2 tbsp. of ground beef mixture into centre of each wrapper.
- Fold in 3 corners, covering beef mixture.
- Roll towards unfolded corner and tuck this corner to the bottom.
- Place tucked corner side down onto prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until wrapper is browned and crispy.
- Serve with your favourite flavoured mayonnaises!