Here I go again with the caramelized onions lol! This time it’s on top of a turkey burger and served with melty cheese on top! Considering the boys ate two each, I have to say they were a hit!
These burgers could also be cooked on the grill!
This is what I used for my ingredients.
I started off with the onions
I halved and thinly sliced the onions and added them to my frying pan with the balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp. thyme.
I cooked these over medium heat until the onions were softened and the vinegar had evaporated.
I removed them from the pan to a bowl and started on the burgers.
In a bowl, I mixed together the minced turkey, Worcestershire sauce, chopped onion, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme.
I divided the meat in quarters and shaped it into patties. I cooked them in the same pan as the onions to get any lingering flavour from cooking them.
I cooked these over medium high heat until both sides were nicely browned and the burgers were cooked through.
Now I cooked my burgers ahead of time to make dinner quicker that night So I placed the cooked burgers on a parchment paper lined baking pan to reheat.
Once they were back up to temperature I added the first amount of grated cheese and put it back in the oven to melt.
Then I topped the burgers with the onion and another tablespoon of cheese each and put it back in the oven to heat up the onions and melt the last layer of cheese.
I placed the burgers on the toasted buns….
And then served them up!
Turkey Burgers with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 lb. minced turkey
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 4 tbsp. grated cheese
- 4 buns
- In large frying pan, add onions, thyme and balsamic vinegar.
- Cook over medium heat until onions are softened and vinegar has evaporated.
- Remove to bowl. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combined minced turkey, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and chopped onion. Mix to thoroughly combined.
- Shape turkey mixture into 4 patties.
- Cook over medium heat in same pan onions were cooked in, until browned and cooked through.
- Sprinkle first amount of cheese on burgers and let melt.
- Divide onions between burgers and spoon on top.
- Add second amount of cheese and let melt again.
- Toast buns and then place burgers on top.